Hello everybody, it is Brad, welcome to my recipe site. Today, I will show you a way to prepare a special dish, vegetable barley soup. It is one of my favorites food recipes. For mine, I will make it a little bit tasty. This will be really delicious.
Vegetable Barley Soup is one of the most well liked of recent trending foods on earth. It’s easy, it is fast, it tastes yummy. It is enjoyed by millions every day. Vegetable Barley Soup is something which I have loved my entire life. They’re nice and they look wonderful.
To begin with this recipe, we must first prepare a few components. You can cook vegetable barley soup using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Vegetable Barley Soup:
- Make ready 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- Prepare 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Make ready 2 turnips, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Make ready 1 small rutabaga, cut into 1/2inch pieces
- Take 2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Prepare 2 stalks celery, sliced
- Take 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Prepare 1 large onion, chopped
- Prepare 1 cup barley (not quick cooking)
- Make ready 1 small bunch Swiss chard, stems discarded, leaves chopped
- Get 1 salt & pepper
- Get 1 Shaved Parmesan, for serving
Instructions to make Vegetable Barley Soup:
- Tie the thyme together with a piece of thread or butcher's twine.
- In a 5-to-6qt slow cooker, combine the parsnips, turnips, carrots, rutabega, celery, garlic, onion, thyme, barley, 8cups of water, 1tsp salt and 1/4tsp pepper.
- Cook, covered, until the barley is cooked through and the veggies are tender. 6-7 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high (if cooking on high, use only 6cups of water)
- When the soup has 10mins left to cook, remove the thyme
- Turn the slow cooker on high, add the chard and cook, covered until tender, 5-7 mins.
- Serve with Parmesan, if desired
So that is going to wrap it up with this special food vegetable barley soup recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I’m sure you will make this at home. There’s gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, colleague and friends. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!